Monday, January 10, 2011

John 6:44

Some research I did into the use of the word "draw" found in John 6:44 - "No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day."  I used this as part of an online discussion board on the topic of sovereign election.  Notes were taken using the Blueletterbible site:

TR and GNT use the same word, "ἑλκύσῃ".  Strong's lists this word G1670 - helkō, as:

1) to draw, drag off
2) metaph., to draw by inward power, lead, impel
I did a search for helkō elsewhere in Scripture, and there are eight other occurrences of this Greek word in Scripture, including passages such as:
  • John 12:32 - And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all [men] unto me (similar to passage above.  Speaks of God drawing/gathering)
  • John 18:10 - Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it (Peter completed the action and grabbed a sword)
  • John 21:11 - Simon Peter went up, and drew the net to land (Peter did the action, and pulled the net to himself)
In each of these passages,  helkō speaks of an action of the individual drawing someone or something to himself by their OWN effort.  Peter's sword didn't do anything, neither did the fish net.  It was the one doing the action that is credited in the word.

No comments:

Post a Comment